Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Kansas City Royals are in the World Series

I am privileged to have seen some amazing sports feats in my life. I mean my grandfather never saw the Boston Red Sox win the World Series in his lifetime. I may never see the Chicago Cubs win a World Series in my lifetime, hell my son probably won't witness that. I'm kidding Cubs fans take it easy. My point is that Boston winning for the first time in almost a century and the White Sox winning and other such history making events is the reason I love sports. It is the ultimate reality show because you never know how the season will end and who will make the post season.

When the same teams are in the post season year after year its just not as exciting for the majority of baseball fans. When a team like the Royals who haven't won the World Series since 1985 makes the playoffs and then go undefeated in the American League Division Series and the American League Championship Series you can't help but root for them because you want to see history.

When the Royals defeated the Oakland A's in the AL Wildcard game 9 - 8 I thought that they would make the post season more fun to watch. Then the Royals went on to sweep the Los Angeles Angels and tonight they completed the sweep of the Baltimore Orioles 2 - 1.

Royals left fielder Alex Gordon said, "It's been an amazing run. This is great. We've been playing pretty good baseball. It's nothing better than when you win. Today, the same old story: good playing, good defense and scratch out a win."

Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer added, " Man, its incredible. These guys every day come to play. If they're not doing it offensively, they're doing it defensively with the glove, just playing complete games and we've got guys stepping up right now."

Kansas City will host the first two World Series games beginning Tuesday against the St. Louis vs San Francisco winner. Ironically, it was the St. Louis Cardinals who the Royals defeated in 1985 to win their only World Series title.

No comments:

Post a Comment