Tuesday, May 10, 2011

$500,000 Donated By SEC To Help Tornado Victims

With the advent of the 2011-12 college football season and all of the ongoing scandals, I thought it would be nice to do a report on something positive that has happened. There are so many negative things happening in sports that writing blogs about them has become too easy and for me that's never good because if you don't put any effort into a report it usually sucks. That being said, I have written about the Ohio State players accepting offers and their head coach lying to investigators...not alleged by the way, these things really happened.

I have written about the Fiesta Bowl turning into Enron errrrr I mean basically getting caught with their hands in the cookie jar, apparently it's illegal to use the bowl's money as your own personal piggy bank...allegedly. Yeah they're in hot water and might even get their bowl status ripped. Guess the BCS doesn't like being lied to.

The Southeastern Conference of college football has donated $500,000 to the University of Alabama. A record breaking 312 tornadoes were recorded in one day from a severe storm system that passed over the area. The tornadoes that hit Alabama caused more than $2 billion in damage resulting in the state being declared a category one natural disaster by federal authorities.

Dr. Bernie Machen, President of the University of Florida and the Southeastern Conference said, "Our hearts go out to all the victims of these recent tornadoes but especially to our academic colleagues and their students. While we compete fiercely in athletics we also support each other fiercely in times of need. The efforts of the conference and our institutions will help alleviate the effects of this devastating catastrophe." According to reports 328 people died with 236 in the state of Alabama.

I agree 100% with Dr. Machen, as a huge sports fan I admit I don't watch the news at all, my life is sports and even with the hundreds of channels I receive through my dish, half of them are news by the way, I still overlook the news because I don't care enough to watch. Unless downtown Vegas is on fire or something is effecting my immediate neighborhood I don't watch. However, I agree with the doctor when it comes to supporting each other in times of need.

If you ask me the best game last year in college football was Cam Newton leading Auburn into Alabama, into hostile territory and walking out with a win and eventually Auburn won the National Title. But Alabama fans were so upset that one of them actually went to the campus of Auburn and killed some of the trees. Sure it's just a game but for many of us the game is an escape which is why fans are so passionate about their teams. That's why its so cool that these guys are helping each other. Any time you can put differences aside for the greater good I respect it...man's game!

No comments:

Post a Comment