Sunday, August 1, 2010

NBA Rookie of the Year Arrested for Speeding

Sacramento Kings player Tyreke Evans has skills. He is definitely someone who can give a boost to the Kings who have been mediocre in the tough Western Conference. In fact Evans is such a good player that he won the NBA's Rookie of the Year award. Off the top of my head I can tell you about the guy's focus, his determination, and his speed on the court and these things will present a problem for any opponent the Kings face.

Of course Tyreke's speed off of the court is what this report is about. Evans was on Interstate 80 in his purple Mercedes when he was clocked by the California Highway Patrol doing between 120mph and 130mph! At those speeds you shouldn't even try to explain yourself, you should just get out of your car and have a seat in the back of the patrol car and pray you don't get maced or tasered into submission. 

His attorneys say Evans pleaded no contest to reckless driving and was sentenced to 80 hours of community service. He was also ordered to take part in teen driving programs and he will lose his license for 30 days. Basically, he got off lucky. There's no word yet on whether or not NBA Commissioner David Stern will impose any fines on Evans.

Police believe Evans was racing and I'd have to agree, either that or he was trying to make a flight. The dude is 20 years old and we were all knuckleheads at that age and my uncles constantly reminded my cousin and I about it. I agree with the community service and him having to find a friend or relative drive him around in his Mercedes for 30 days will be a humbling experience. 

The teen driving programs are what bother me. I mean do you really want this guy telling your kids anything about driving? I don't think that part was thought out all the way I mean what's he gonna tell the teens, how to take a curve at 90mph? And if he tries to tell the kids to drive correctly they won't want to hear it, they will want to know what it's like to hit triple digits on public highways. If I were Evans I would begin the class by saying it's just not worth getting arrested at gun point, then again nothing is...

No comments:

Post a Comment