Monday, August 2, 2010

My list of the stupidest injuries in sports

The Rookie of the Year award used to be a high honor, a proud achievement, something to show your future kids. Now it seems that it is just a curse. If I was going to be named Rookie of the Year I would turn it down because I might be in some freak accident or my golden retriever will die or something. It's not superstition this is pure fact. The Florida Marlins Rookie of the Year Chris Coghlan just ripped up his knee. No not in batting practice or a game. No, dude was slamming a pie into a teammate's face when he shattered his knee. Well, its not like this could have been avoided.

Then you have Sacramento Kings Rookie of the Year Tyreke Evans going fast and the furious on I-80 and granted he's not injured but for the next 30 days he's not going to be happy. All of this injury talk got me curious enough to do some research and see if there were any other guys getting injured over the stupiest things. To tell the truth I found way too many results to go over so I pick some of the stupidest. As God is my witness I am not making this up, do your own research if you don't believe me.

First some honorable mentions that didn't make the top ten:

Jacksonville Jaguars kicker Chris Hanson while chopping wood cuts a gash in his non kicking foot and had to go to the ER... nice...

Atlanta Braves pitcher John Smoltz burns himself ironing a shirt he was wearing...Smoltz tried to deny this...tried and failed

1995 AL Rookie of the Year Marty Cordova falls asleep in a California tanning salon and cannot play do to sunburn...you also get burned walking down the strip without any SPF on

The most recent injury is Kendry Morales, the Angels first baseman hit a walk off grand slam and breaks his leg celebrating at home plate...yes he will miss the rest of the 2010 season thanks for checking in Kendry

Remember these didn't make the list...so here we go with a list compliled by me and the lovely Maria:

10:) Joel Zumaya couldn't play in the American League Championship Series due to inflammation from playing too much Guitar Hero

9:) Sammy Sosa suffers back spasms caused by...get this, sneezing too hard

8:) Kevin Mitchell chips his tooth biting into a frozen doughnut

7:) Moises Alou reinjures his ACL after he ran over his son on a bicycle...the kid was alright.

6:) Charlie Hough breaks his pinky finger by pinky swearing with someone, what is he 7 years old?

5:) Rickey Henderson gets frostbite after falling asleep on an ice pack, the best part about this one is that it happened in August!

4:) Glenn Healy, the Toronto Maple Leafs former goalie, stabs himself while fixing bagpipes. How do you fix...nevermind

3:) Glenallen Hill played for the Toronto Blue Jays, I don't know what kind of spiders they have up there but dude had a nightmare, jumped out of bed slamming into a wall, falling through a glass table and down a flight of steps...he was placed on the 15 day disabled list...no comment he's been through enough

2:) Plaxico Burress, who could forget the former NY Giants star going to a nightclub getting his drink on and shooting himself in his leg with an unlicensed gun...he was given two years in prison and two years probation, it probably also costs him his career, hope that was worth it

1:) This is so tough and I have to admit that Maria picked this because I just couldn't decide, The number one spot goes to former San Francisco Giants All Star Jeff Kent. The second baseman broke a bone in his left wrist while washing his truck in his driveway. "I was straddling the back of my truck when I slipped and fell. I didn't think much of it at the time and continued washing my truck. It started swelling up during the night and got really sore." Did dude really get taken down by his driveway? You know, for these guys to be world class athletes they are complete morons off the field. Maria sums it up best... "They're all pretty stupid but that one, give me a break man!"

No comments:

Post a Comment