Friday, August 27, 2010

Kimbo Slice Wants to be a boxer

Kimbo Slice, real name Kevin Ferguson, wants to try his luck at boxing. "I feel like a baby again. I'm thinking about this at night. I'm gonna be a problem in the heavyweight division. I'm going be coming in with a bad demeanor. I want to see what it's like to break some ribs, break a jaw with one punch. This is a career move I love fighting. I like to knock people the [expletive] out. I love engaging, maybe some people think I'm crazy."

He's certainly serious, he's currently finalizing a deal with New Jersey based promoter Gary Shaw. Shaw seems to have great confidence in Kimbo's abilities. "He could easily be at the same level as guys the Klitschkos have been fighting. Maybe I'm wrong maybe he's coming to boxing too late, but I don't think so. He's not a beaten up athlete. He's a natural with that bob and weave like Mike Tyson" Shaw said.

Not only does Kimbo want to be champion but sounds like he wants to knock heads off on his way there. "I'm safety first driving, wear my seatbelt. Not in the ring. These fighters these days, their complacent, lazy. I'm hungry. I just dropped three of my kids off at tutoring. It's expensive!"

Look, I wish Kimbo all the best in boxing I really do. I actually think he is a good addition to the world of boxing because besides Mayweather and Pacquiao, there really isn't anything to talk about in boxing. Sure there's some excellent fighters coming up in the lower levels but nothing in the main stream worth mentioning. My advice to Kimbo is be patient and study as much tape as you can. Boxing isn't called the sweet science for nothing.

It's different from MMA but just as dangerous. In fact I think you're more likely to get knocked out in boxing than MMA. Jabs, hooks, uppercuts, there all designed to turn your lights out. That's exactly what's going to happen if dude walks into the ring unprepared. Gary Shaw is a promoter, it's his job to have great confidence in Kimbo's abilities.

I love when Shaw says Kimbo's got "bob and weave like Mike Tyson". Yeah, which Mike Tyson? The undisputed heavyweight champion of the 80's and 90's or the dude who lost to Kevin McBride? What worries me check that I could care less, but what should worry Kimbo is rushing into a fight. Shaw could have him fighting as soon as October! You'd think both Kimbo and Shaw would've learned a lesson.

Shaw was an exective at the Elite XC promoted fight that saw Kimbo knocked out in 14 seconds by Seth Petruzelli. Kimbo has the right attitude because if you're not hungry and you're not ready to break some ribs then you're in the wrong sport. All I'm saying is training is a good thing because you may be a street brawler and the baddest man on the block but most boxers begin their careers at 13. There really is a science to hitting and not getting hit. That science is the reason brawlers usually get picked apart by trained boxers.

No comments:

Post a Comment