Saturday, August 21, 2010

ESPN Television Personality Arrested

This report proves that we are all human and sometimes the roles get reversed. Shout outs to Niagara University and their excellent journalism program. They should teach a class in avoiding personal scandals because if you're a reporter and you are a public figure and you screw up, you're personal life is fair game and suddenly your collegues turn their cameras at you and sometimes careers are ended.

I don't wish any ill will on the guy but Jay Mariotti is someone I watched every weekday on "Around The Horn" a show on ESPN. According to reports he has been arrested on a felony charge in Los Angeles. Police say Mariotti was arrested early Saturday in the department's Pacific Division following a "domestic incident." Mariotti was booked on a felony charge at 5:45a.m. and is being held on $50,000 bail. Mariotti lives in Los Angeles and was a long time columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times.

I was trying to wait to blog about this report because I wanted to see what his show on ESPN was going to say about it. I think it will be really interesting to see how they handle it but I was actually called out on CBSsportsline by another blogger. I don't want to call him out but since he bad mouthed me I read his blog and well let's just say he shouldn't be anywhere near superstar status, more like amateur or junior high status. Whenever I get called out I just say check out my views dude, come back when you reach 1,000,000 plus...scoreboard, look up at it...that usually shuts them up.

Anyway, eyes of people I do care about are going to be reading this and so I don't want to seem biased to Mariotti when I am usually hard on athletes charged with similar offenses. So I won't say anything bad about him because all of the information hasn't been released. Here's what we know, he was arrested for a felony which is pretty serious, he was involved in a "domestic incident"...which can be a number of things. He's being held on $50,000 bail.

California's state and local laws regarding domestic incidents are like 1000 pages long. In other words, all kinds of charges fall under the umbrella of domestic incidents. ESPN is not commenting so all I can do is reserve judgement until Monday when something will have to be said, unless they replace him on the show which speaks volumes in a negative way.

No comments:

Post a Comment