Saturday, May 8, 2010

Athletes Doing Great Things For Charities

Well this is what happens when I make a bet at a fancy restaurant with friends. We went to dinner with our good friends Chris and Amy and since Chris was paying I ordered steak and I was going to order a certain red wine but he was like come on bro lol The funny thing is the girl's and their white chocolate martini's costs almost as much as the dinner itself.

Of course Chris and I were both thinking about the NBA games we were missing and so I bet him that Cleveland would lose because of that terrible performance in game 2 against the Celtics. Instead of dinner he wanted me to write something good about athletes if I lost the bet. He and Amy seem to think I can only write negative things about athletes. Now that I think about it, a lot of my friends seem to think that and I won't say any names Marci lol

So I lost the bet and now Cleveland has a 2 - 1 series lead. I think it is time for some good news after all the bad things coming out recently about athletes. I really hope the Lawrence Taylor thing isn't true but again he put himself in that situation. I'm not a saint I've gotten my share of speeding tickets that I am fighting in court lol All I'm saying is stop doing dumb things.

Here are the great things that have been done in the name of charity.

Michael Jordan donated $5 million to Hales Franciscan high school in Chicago.

Lance Armstrong donated $5 million to the Lance Armstrong foundation which was set up to help people suffering from cancer.

Eric Lindros donated $5 million to the London Health Sciences Center where he was treated throughout his NHL career.

Richard Jefferson donated $3.5 million to the University of Arizona for a basketball and volleyball facility. He also went to college there.

Tiger Woods donated $1.35 million to the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Orange County, California which provides after school classes to focus on future careers.

Andre Agassi donated $1.3 million to the Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation which is dedicated to providing education for underserved youth.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson donated $1 million to the University of Miami's football facilities.

Tracy McGrady donated $1 million to Stand Up For Darfur to help Sudanese refugees.

Mike Miller donated $1 million to the Mike and Jennifer Miller Endowment Fund to support Sanford Children's Hospital in South Dakota.

David Robinson donated $779,499 to the David Robinson Foundation in support of the Carver Academy, mentoring programs and hunger programs.

Richard Seymour donated $724,825 to the Richard Seymour Blessing God's Children Foundation which holds youth camps and health fairs for children.

One more person of note is my mom and not because Mother's Day is tomorrow. My mom is a lawyer and she has done great things for the community since I was a kid and she and the firm she works for has donated many thousands of dollars to the American Cancer Society since we lost my grandfather to cancer. Another reason you shouldn't smoke Chris! 

No comments:

Post a Comment